Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Heading home

We are heading home from the hospital! I cannot believe how quickly my little man has healed! He is full of smiles today and happy to be out of that hospital. It felt so good to be able to hold my baby without all the wires and tubes and dress him in his own clothes. While Matt and I are thrilled to be bringing him home, our journey still continues...

Yesterday Davis had a full echocardiogram completed to look closely at his heart post-operatively. The most intricate part of Davis's surgery was making two valves out of one. The echo showed that the left valve, which is the most important valve, looks perfect - this is wonderful news! But the right valve has moderate to severe leakage. This is disappointing to hear that the repair was not perfect. It's quite possible that the valve will thicken with scar tissue over time and will not cause problems down the road. At this point, another surgery is not recommended. It's simply something that will have to be monitored.

Additionally, Davis's chest x-ray this morning showed more fluid on his right side. I'm frustrated because over the entire week we've had this problem with his right side, and honestly I dont think the doctors know exactly if it truly is fluid, or a partially collapsed lung, or both; they said it's difficult to tell. So we are treating for both and we'll see the cardiologist on Monday.

The next few days and weeks will continue to present challenges. I am most nervous about administering his medications correctly, particularly his injection. Plus I am so sleep-deprived I am worried about making a mistake; my mental function is extremely poor right now!

I don't mean to cause this post to sound negative; I just want everyone to know about the present concerns. There is still so much about which to feel positive! Davis is alive, his heart is better than it was, he'll continue to heal and feel better, and all of this really is a miracle!  And the biggest miracle of all is Davis - he is my hero.

I took some very cute pictures of Davis today, but because I am not technologically inclined, I can't figure out how to get them to the blog using my iPhone. I'll have to do a special picture post later.

I can't thank you all enough for all the support and encouragement!

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Reeves. So glad you are home. Prayers for clarity of thought for you as you administer medications. I know you will sleep better in your own beds and you all will heal and improve as the days go on. We will wrap Davis' right valve up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete