Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

2 weeks and 2 days

Well, it's been two weeks and two days since Davis had open heart surgery.  Considering the circumstances, I'd say he is doing extremely well!

Our challenges this week have been with Davis's eating and sleeping.  His appetite is not what it used to be, and we had concerns that he wasn't getting enough nutrition and hydration (his doctor says he is fine and eating will pick up).  Also, he is having trouble taking naps during the day, making for a very challenging day and especially evening.  However, each day seems to get better; in fact, yesterday was a TREMENDOUS day.  He ate a LOT and got in two good naps with some diligent coaxing by me.  We're not having too much trouble with night-time sleep besides occasional, brief crying episodes when he wakes.

All this has been disappointing because Davis has always been an excellent eater, has always slept through the night since he was one month old without any trouble at all, and has consistently had such a pleasant, content demeanor.  So in a way, I feel like I don't have my same little boy anymore.  But since each day is improving, I feel that he will be back to himself in a few weeks.

Physically, he seems to be doing great.  His wounds look good, and each day he seems to get stronger.  I took a video scan of his body today, so that I can compare how everything looks days and weeks from now; I thought about posting it but then decided that no one really wants to see his yucky chest tube wound.  I will get a picture of his incision soon though and post it - I'm amazed at how wonderfully it has healed!  Additionally, I don't have to worry about Davis rolling across the room...yet.  I'm sure he'll get there soon, he was rolling all over the place prior to surgery.


Yesterday, Davis turned 7 months old - unbelievable!!!  Before you know it, he'll be graduating high school. ;)  Is that the cutest smiley face or what?

2 comments: