Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Guest Post

I know, I know...I have not been keeping Davis's Fan Club up-to-date with his latest happenings.  I do apologize, as I had promised to do better.  I have let life get in the way, I guess.  Plus, I have plans for this blog to tweak it so that it is more aesthetically pleasing and includes more day-to-day life post topics versus just Davis updates...so I feel that I have kind of hit a road block in my creativity as I contemplate my purpose for this outlet.

So because of that, I am going to let Davis's Gramma do a guest post that she has written.  However, I do need to tell you that Davis is doing EXTREMELY well.  His cardiologist visit on Tuesday went better than I expected, and we continue to see him make great strides in his recovery and development.  I have lots of pictures and updates to share about Davis (including his first word - "mama"!), and I will work on getting it all together for you.  I can't deprive those of you that just LOVE you some Davis!

But for now, let's hear from Gramma:

I am honored to write a guest post for my daughter’s blog “Happy Heart of Davis.”

One of my goals had been to start my own blog.  I was going to call it “Joy and Lessons Learned.”

You see, starting about four years ago, I went through some struggles and major life changes.  Both of my parents became seriously ill at the same time.  Then we lost them within eight and a half months of each other.  The next year I retired from my job as an assistant principal after having been an educator for thirty years.  These things along with some family health problems and some internal issues and adjustments caused me to become stronger in my spiritual life and led to much joy and a feeling of many lessons learned. 

I think about my blessings and perspective a lot, and I want to write and share, but I can’t seem to get it done.  They say that you are busier than ever when you retire.  And in my defense, I have an adjunct position at our local university and have been very involved with my four grandchildren.

These four grandchildren are wonderful and uniquely different and precious.  Some would think that the news that one of them was going to be born with Down syndrome and a heart defect would be a cause for sadness.   As it turns out, it has been one of the greatest joys of my life.

It was a shock to hear the news at first, but that did not last long at all.  Luckily in my career as an assistant principal, the Lord had seen fit to provide me with much experience in the field of special education.  I learned so much from chairing and taking part in Individual Education Plan meetings.  I had taught music, fourth grade, and gifted children, but as an AP learned about all kinds of therapies, disabilities, and techniques for greatest progress.  I was responsible for the intake of all of the special needs children in the entire city who were turning three years old.  That meant that I had to work closely with TEIS (Tennessee Early Intervention Services.)  It was quite a task.  Later the school system put school psychologists in charge of the intake.  But not before the Lord put me through my training session. (Romans 8:28)  I can see now His divine plan. 

Davis Matthew Reeves has brought me so much joy.  Even before he was born I was inspired by the incredible attitude and strength of my daughter as she prepared to have a special needs baby with a heart defect.  Her husband, Matt, also showed great depth of character.  And my heart has been warmed by the continuous love and support shown to Kari from her sister, Kelli, who although younger, had three children first.

Then came tremendous encouragement from the rest of the family and a multitude of exceptional friends.

But the biggest inspiration is Davis himself.  What a jolly soul he has!  He and I have an incredible connection.  We even have our own song “You’ll be in my Heart” by Phil Collins, which I heard in the background once on a video about Down syndrome.  Davis may not know yet that this is our song exactly, but I know he approves because he enjoys my singing.

Davis will always be unique and different from what some call the norm in society.  He will face challenges, but he has already conquered heart surgery as a sixth month old.  Not too many people can say that!  He will have his weaknesses and strengths just like everyone else. 

And, there is one thing he can always count on.  His Gramma will always be there for him, through thick and thin.

1 comment:

  1. This was so sweet. You are all blessed by having Davis in your lives! He is such a cutie and one tough little guy to go through what he has at such a young age. Thanks for sharing your story and for letting us share in your joy.

    ReplyDelete